Last night Randy and I watched 6 degress of global warming - basically what scientists forecast could happen with each one degree rise in global temp, up to 6 degrees. Pretty frightening! I don't think it was anything I didn't already know though, since I've been following global warming since I was 11. But watching it set in motion the typical anxiety and upset I feel in dwelling on the fate of earth, other creatures and, yes, even americans.
So it would seem that every american should be aware of environmental problems by now - but still, everyone is using plastic bags (see http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=46606&newsdate=25-Jan-2008 - wow we are even behind CHINA in this important and oh so simple step) and driving big trucks, and heaven forbid the biggest sin of all, shopping at wal-mart. And I guess there is a disconnect somewhere because it seems americans don't understand that by supporting the chineses economy to the extent we do, we are empowering China rising, which we don't want politically, and really really don't want environmentally. America is creating the 'middle-class China' now and what that means is the potential for 1.3 BILLION more consumers wanting to live at america's level of consumption. BTW, if you are keeping track, yes China has already grown to 1.3 after hitting 1 billion only several years ago (clearing they have a long way to go to curb the population growth there) (and the world is at 6.7 billion after hitting 6 about the same time as China 1). Think of all those people wanting the american way of life and the devastation that will reep GLOBALLY!!! Not that only americans should be living well - to the contrary, american consumption is out of control. We live in a throw-away, disposable, and over-indulgent society because americans in general seem to be unable to see the big picture and can not look past their own immediate gratification. UGH
And what's up with this retarded economic incentive - giving us back money the government doesn't have! We're in debt up to our eyeballs and now the govt is going to give us a few hundred bucks to spend to "stimulate the economy" - how do any of the higher ups think that can possibly work. First, most americans are morons and will spend the money on chinese crap. Second, the smart ones will take the money and use it to pay off debt or save it. The problem is that we americans keep watching our jobs walk out the american door and sail overseas (so to speak). The govt must start taxing imports and penalizing american companies that outsource jobs. And we as a country need to downsize to an economy where an american worker can make a decent living at $10/hr. Otherwise, poverty can never go away.
To sum up, people need to THINK WITH THEIR MONEY (meaning always be aware of what your money is paying for - stop supporting China rising and support the re-birth of the American economy) and LOWER THEIR GLOBAL IMPACT (recycle, use reusable bags, drive an economical vehicle, carpool, live close to work, buy a smaller home, see http://realestate.msn.com/Improve/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=440485). If not for yourself, then for the children you keep having too many of (thanks to those choosing to have smaller families!). Well, I'm stepping off my soap box...
2 comments:
You're right. I hate not being able to buy a toaster that isn't made in China. I looked for months for an ipod charger (because I lost my old one) then got real depressed when I found out my ipod itself is Chinese. So, I guess Chinese products are not necessarily crap (although my toaster is crap and bound to start a fire any day now). But the population trends, global warming, and the special disregard of the environment in some countries (with America playing a big role) is disturbing.
At least we still have some trees to snag all of those escaped supermarket plastic bags!
Re: trees catching bags - I like your outlook:)
Post a Comment