Monday, February 2, 2009
Nice Winter training Weekend
This weekend it was an unseasonably warm 60 degree day on Saturday. I set out to meet up with a group at the usual Northland Tuesday route. I left from my house about 1 hour early to make the 18 mile trek to the ride start, I intended of making it a 3 hour 55 mile road ride. Off the bat the 18 very hilly miles were straight into a super strong headwind and I got smoked prior to the start after barely making it on time, most were late and then the group threw a wrench into my plans and we did the route backwards which meant that I was in store for about 75 miles instead. A good group showed up, the Wheel Cyclery boys, Team Chamois Butt'r and a few Cowtowners. The group had some different levels of fitness so it started out and remained fairly calm for this group for most of the ride until we hit a monster hill, I purposely lagged back (not that I could've hung with the 5 that broke away) because I knew I had at least 25 miles left. I ended up about 15 seconds behind the main group at the top of the hill with nobody behind me for some distance, I tried to bridge up for about 6 miles but the neverending stiff headwind meant that since I was stuck in no mans land by myself I wouldn't catch the group (Ryan Halloran, Curt Shelman, Dan Jordan, Fred Herron and some guy I don't know) until they stopped for a minute to let me back on. I ended up riding back to Liberty the shorter way with the Wheel guys so I ended up with 72 miles in about 4 hours. Not bad workout for early season. Sunday I got up and tried to drag Jenn to the Smithville trails, she declined and decided to just go birding instead. Chris called and gave me a heads up that only the west side was dry so I made up my own route riding the same trails about 5 times over. I was surprised but my legs felt good after the prior days ride. I ended up with about 1.5 hours. Jenn and I spent the remainder of the day at home with the new kitten, I bottled my new Boulevard Beer Clone and vegged out the rest of the day. BTW I think I finally got a BLVD Wheat recipe that tastes just like the real thing, I will post the results and recipe after I get a good taste. I'll stop rambling now, I told Jenn I would make a cat scratching post/perch so I better get back to work. Adios.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment