Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another nice weekend

This weekend turned out to be really nice, highs in the low 70s, the weather had called for a good chance of scattered showers but that never came to fruition. Saturday I took the nice weather as an opportunity to get some yard work done. I trimmed back all the dead scrub from our prairie gardens and hauled it, off. I also tilled the vegetable garden (by hand). Sunday I got up early and headed to Chris Locke's for a long easy ride, we then met up with Sarah, Dan Gierer and Dave Wathan. I ended up getting in about 75 miles in, mostly easy miles but I was able to get about 30 miles by myself where I pushed the pace on a hilly route. My knee was still bothering me but not the extent it has lately. After I got home and ate, I went to Lowes to buy some peat moss to add some organic material to the garden,
I also picked up a couple more bushes and planted them between the garden and the compost pile.
Now the entire back yard is bordered by bushes, I don't know where I am going to keep planting stuff, I am pretty much out of space.
I can tell that Spring if FINALLY here. Lately I have been seeing the robins fighting for their territories and they have started singing way before dawn to try to lure in some ladies. The male cardinals are sticking super close to their females, I have been seeing a pair around my deck, last year we had cardinals nest in the bushes right on the rail of my deck, unfortueately a stray cat killed her (I think) and broke all of her eggs. Today during my rides, I saw a group of three small flycatchers, a few turkey vultures and a group of double crested comorants. I keep seeing juncos flying around, but I gotta belive they will be gone soon. Several of my bushes are showing signs of life and soon I will have to begin mowing again.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The garden looks great! Still haven't seen a hummingbird yet on any of my plots, but I'm sure I will soon. Glad you are finally getting some good weather up there - I'm sure the kitties love having the windows open.