Monday, December 29, 2008

Smithville Lake birding

Randy and I participated in the Trimble Christmas Bird Count (covers Smithville Lake) this past Friday. This is our 2nd year to do this CBC and the 1st time I have ever been the leader of my section (and I've done a lot of CBC's)!!! We had a great time - record high of 67 degrees, moderate winds (much better than I foresaw), and overcast skies. Still our section of water was shallow and remained frozen over, so we struck out on waterfowl. Despite plenty of ag fields, we also struck out on blackbirds (except red-wingeds). And despite lots of great sparrow spots, we failed to find any thing 'good' - mostly just lots of tree sparrows and juncos. We did come up with 7 Harris's sparrows, which was awesome. We also had a hermit thrush and brown thrasher. But the bird of the day was long-eared owl, heard briefly responding to our owl tape playing on my Sansa through 2 portable speakers (my Christmas present!) and later seen briefly as RC flushed it from some pines. Not the way to get a lifer as Randy would say.

And BTW, did I mention we got great looks at a Snowy Owl last Monday at Smithville Lake. That is Randy's 2nd and my 3rd. A fine bird to add to my 2008 list. woo-woo

My New Year's resolution is to bird more and do a better job at record-keeping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn and Randy,
I'm a reporter for The Smithville Herald and just read your blog. I wrote a story on the snowy owls that will be in the paper on Wed., Jan. 7. I wish I had known about you two before I wrote that story. Anyway, we're producing our annual "Lake Pilot." I am writing stories about nature, including birdwatching. I would like to interview you two about your experiences and tips for birders to include in my story. Can you please call me at the office at 532-4444 or email me at kathycrawford@npgco.com?
I'm hoping to have a rough draft done by Sun., Jan. 11.
Looking forward to talking with you,
Kathy Crawford