Thursday, April 3, 2008
Giant Anthem 0
I picked up my new mountain bike from The Wheel Cyclery yesterday after work. Heather spent some time with me setting the bike up for my weight and geometry. I left work early to pick the bike up and went straight to the Smithville Lake trails, I am racing the Ouachita Challenge 60 mile race this weekend and figured I better put it through the motions because the weather called for rain in KC the next few days and I might not get another chance to ride before my race. My first impressions were that the bike is fast, I never realized how much the shot suspension in my old bike was draining pedal power, when I turn the pedals around on the Anthem, I felt like almost all of the energy pushed the bike foward, especially in the climbs. My old GT would bob pretty bad as I pedaled, sapping up alot of energy. The first lap I had a hard time controlling the bike in the rocky sections, until I figured out the front Fork was locked out and the tires had 50+ psi in them from the shop. My usual hard training laps at Smithville are around the 56 minute mark, I rode my first lap in 53 mins and this is including an additional 1/2 mi of trail they just added. I was very surprised at my time, I didn't really feel like I was pushing that hard. I need to make a couple of changes tonight, the riser bars and the steep stem angle made me feel like I was sitting upright, my bars are actually higher than my seat, I am used to a much more aggressive position. The bike also didn't come with tubeless tires, go figure you buy a higher end bike with Crossmax SLs and you gotta immediately switch out the tires. The seat aslo beat my rear end to death, I will have to put my old seat on the new bike. I ended up riding just over 3 hours and by the end I had to pull off from Chris Locke and Dan Gierer due to my rear hurting, plus it was getting near 8PM and I was hungry. Anyone looking for a brand new Race Face Carbon riser bar or a new WTB saddle let me know.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You will like your new Anthem even more once you get everything dialed in.
Christopher my be interested in the WTB saddle. His Giant also came with one and he liked it.
A brand new bike and my super-effective training suggestions, that's like ice cold milk and an Oreo cookie (that's 2 great things that go great together for those of you that didn't get it)
I got the ice cold milk, I just need to make sure that I keep going out week after week for my Oreo cookies. Seems like something always comes up on my Oreo days.
awww dang...enjoy the new ride man! Can't wait to hear how the Ouchita went.
Shad
Post a Comment